Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Proof is in the Podding
By Stephen Abram
MultiMedia & Internet@Schools; May/June 2006, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p. 22 - 24, 3p

OK, I admit it, I was first attracted to this article because of the title. Pretty creative isn’t it? However, I do want to learn more about podcasting and its use in education, so I read on.

The Duke University experiment of providing iPods to all students is an interesting one, and one I am sure the students at my school wish we would try. I will admit I am one of those who thinks iPods=music and iTunes= songs to buy. I am aware of the other uses, but just don’t think about them. It requires a shift in my natural association patterns. I can do it though. I learned of the 20,000 podcasts, 11,000 audiobooks and 3,000 videos on iTunes in addition to the 3,000 videos. And, I did not know that the iTumes server software can be used to create a private digital school to support curriculum, teaching and learners where teachers and learners can post podcasts, photos, music, voice and text in many formats.

I love this statement from this article:

“To ignore iPods and their kin in the education space in 2006 is the same as ignoring the Web in 1996 or
the Internet in 1986. You won't go extinct, but you won't evolve too quickly either.”

I also learned about the emerging vodcasting from this article. This was a new one for me, and it basically is video podcasting. Not surprising that this would be the next step. I also learned that you can search for podcasts through Podscope and Podzinger.

While I probably won’t push for getting every student an iPod, I do think there are several educational uses, and at the very least, I will include this information, as well as the information I received in a presentation at UNI, in a teacher-in-service soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home